If you were really sick or injured and you couldn’t work, what would happen when your sick leave ran out? Could you still pay your rent or mortgage, and your bills? What if you couldn’t work for a year or more?
Income protection cover may help to replace your lost income if you can’t work, whether it’s because you’re sick or you’ve been injured – at work, at home, or somewhere else - and can give you and your family peace of mind that the bills will be paid.
If you can return to work but only in a reduced capacity you may receive partial disability benefits, and our insurer may even pay for some or all of your rehabilitation expenses, to help you get back to work.
How does income protection work?
You’ll automatically receive our default cover when you are aged 25 years or over, your account balance is at least $6,000 and have received a superannuation guarantee contribution within 6 months.
1 Default cover
With default cover, you are automatically insured for 75% of your annual salary (up to an annual salary of $128,000), with benefits payable after a 60-day waiting period, for up to two years.
2 Tailor your cover to suit you
If the default cover doesn’t meet your needs, you can tailor your income protection cover to meet your personal requirements:
- Increase your cover to (a maximum of) 85% of your annual salary or $30,000 a month, whichever is less
- Increase the length of time you’re eligible to be paid benefits in the event of a successful claim, from two years to up to age 65
- Shorten your waiting period from 60 to 30 days
- Reduce the amount of cover, or even cancel your cover entirely if it doesn’t suit your needs.
What to do next
- Download and read the income protection fact sheet
- Update your income protection cover
- To check how much income protection cover you may need try our insurance calculators or call us.
Generally, you will get automatic income protection cover when you join Vision Super Saver through part or full time (ie non-casual) employment with a participating employer. However, you must (among other things) be a non-casual employee between 15 and 65 years of age with a salary over $7,999 a year (not including super, before tax) to be eligible for cover.